Surprised? I’m not a big believer in labels and believe that sexuality is more of a sliding scale. I have had sexual encounters with men all over the spectrum. What is sad about this report is that men remain closeted, unhappy and ultimately alone:
Using the national census, Gallup polls, Facebook, dating sites and porno searches, aÂ studyÂ from The New York Times estimates that at least 5% of American men are gay, while many are in the closet or quietly suffering in heterosexual marriages â€” particularly in traditionally conservative states.
Times opinion contributor and economics smarty-pants Seth Stephens-Davidowitz set out to figure out how many men in this great, gay land of ours practice the love that dares not speak its name. Stephens-Davidowitz found that Rhode Island was the most tolerant state â€” despite beingÂ relatively lateÂ to the marriage equality party â€” and (surprise, surprise) Mississippi is theÂ least tolerant. Here are some key findings from his research:
* At least 5 percent of American men are â€śpredominantly attractedâ€ť to men.
* Millions of gay men are still in the closet to some degree;Â one-tenth of gay men say they havenâ€™t come out to most of the important people in their lives.
* Gay men are half as likely as straight men to be open about their sexuality on social networks.
* More than one quarter of gay men hide their sexuality from anonymous surveys; aboutÂ 3.6 percentÂ of American men tell anonymous surveys they are attracted to men.
* While some gays move out of less tolerant states, itâ€™s not as many as youâ€™d think. The openly gay population of those states would only be about 0.1 percent higher if they stayed.
* In all states, about 5 percent of porn searches are for gay porn, suggesting thatÂ there are just as many gays in less tolerant states as anywhere else.
* For every 20 percentage points of support for marriage equality, about one-and-a-half times as many men from that state will identify openly as gay on Facebook.
* A â€ślarge numberâ€ť of gay men are married to women.Â Google searches suggest wives suspect their husbands of being gay. Like, a lot. Especially in the super Bible states.
Are you surprised by these findings?