One of last year’s best Pride events is back for 2013. Faetopia is celebrating its second year with a grand opening planned for tomorrow night, June 21, at 6pm in the former Virgin Records space on Market Street.
Faetopia creates a heart-centered Queer Revolution this Pride, envisioning a world where queers are loved and celebrated for the unique gifts they bring to the world. Packed full with visual art, history forums, theatrical spectacles, ecology workshops, sex playshops, live music, and magick, this unique festival brings together many queer communities to create new realities that will ripple outward.
Consisting of dozens of different events, Faetopia invites queers into a fantastical space to share their gifts with the larger world. These events are united by the vision of a world that recognizes and honors queer contributions to society. Faetopia is also driven by an underlying class-consciousness and commitment to the NOTAFLOF model (No One Turned Away For Lack of Funds). A full schedule of activities will be available soon at www.faetopia.com.
In 2012, Faetopia exploded onto the SF scene, drawing thousands to its events and gallery. Raising thousands of dollars for local queer artists and non-profits, Faetopia went on to be recognized as an exceptional Pride event, even earning a â€śBest of the Bayâ€ť award for â€śBest Faery Explosionâ€ť. This year, in addition to the gallery upstairs, Faetopia will be creating a theater and interactive arts installation in the downstairs Tower Records. Over a hundred volunteer collaborators with many varied affiliations come together to create Faetopia. All proceeds from the event will go to support LYRIC, Visual Aid, the Feyboy Arts Grants for a Queerer Tomorrow, and Calamus Fellowship. Production of Faetopia is led by the Feyboys, a queer arts collective, and Calamus, a spiritual fellowship for gay men â€“ together these groups create events such as Zombie Christ Haunted House and have raised over $9000 for different LGBT causes in the last six months alone.
Faetopia is made possible each year through the generous support of CafĂ© Flore owner JD Petras and building owner Kent Jeffreys.
FESTIVAL HIGHLIGHTS (not comprehensive):
- Faggots and Their Friends Between Revolutions opening reception extravaganza Fri 6/21
- We Two Boys Together Clinging Whitman-inspired solo performance by Ryan Hayes Fri 6/21
- Big Joy: the Adventures of James Broughton and Lewd & Lascivious premieres after-party Sat 6/22
- Queering Mythologies collaborative performance piece with Diego Gomez and Ben McCoy Tues 6/25
- 2werk: Fey Fashion Show, a night of fierce fashion for grrls, bois, and all creatures between Wed 6/26
- Songs and Stories of Queer Punk, acoustic show with Pansy Division founder Jon Ginoli Thurs 6/27
- Gay Hist-Orgy 3: Mondo Mythologies, SF premiere of the third piece in this historical epic Fri 6/28
- Queer Oral History Project, interviews and presentations running all week
- Sex playshops and discussions including Orgy Tips & Tricks, History of Gay Porn, and Cock Massage
- Expanded Visual Arts Gallery featuring dozens of artists from the Bay and beyond
- Heart Circles and Discussions on the hot topics of the queer community from HIV to hip-hop
|Faetopia’s Opening Reception
Friday June 21st
You’ll be treated to our extraordinarily talented and multi-faceted community of musicians, singers, poets, dancers and other performers. Featured performers on stage include: Blackberri, Casey Collins, Distance Everheart, Ben Peavey, James Panther and more.
In addition there will be performances occuring throughout the space, including a special dance feature from Justin Morrison.
I hope you will check it out and discover your feyboy side!